Friday, November 30, 2007

Stresses of raising children

Rob has been up in SLC the last couple of days for a training and boy oh boy have I had my fun at home with the kids. Yesterday at about 2pm I get a call from Kennedy. She says she has thrown up and needs to come home. We get home and I told her I had a feeling that she was not being honest. She couldn't believe that I could tell (now I know how my parents always knew everything, parental instinct I guess). Anyway, she fessed up saying that she didn't throw up, she was hungry. Today, we went to school and she (with a lot of my help) apoloqized to her teacher for lying. I've found through this experience that it is quite stressful being a parent, teaching children. I hope I did what was needed to teach her so that she will make a better decision next time.
So now for Conner's episode...I was on the phone today with a friend and Kennedy comes running telling me that Conner had just swallowed a dime!! I frantically hung up and tried to help him get it out. He was gagging pretty bad, but luckily he could still breath. We never got it out, so I called the Dr and they said to take him to the ER. By this time he was not gagging any more and he was happily playing with Kennedy. So I got my "mommy bible" out (AAP Caring for Your Baby and Young Child) and looked on the internet and both said swallowing a dime is not a big deal, to just watch for it to pass in the next 48 hours. So now you know what I'll be doing...gross.
I love my kids to death and I am forever grateful for the joy and excitement they bring into my life. Yesterday I read the first article in the December ensign by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It's wonderful and I would suggest that anyone take the time to read it. My kids are my jewels.
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=e77141dc0d186110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1

4 comments:

Bon said...

This email was so touching to me for some reason. You are a good mom and I am glad you shared your "fun" days with your time alone with the kids. It is hard sometimes being a mom and knowing what to do- but I think you are wonderful and did exactly what I would have too! Love ya

Jess said...

Thanks for doing such great posts. They are always fun to read. I just wanted to add that we are the exact same way with soundtracks. August Rush totally blew me away. What are some of your other faves?

{Lindsey} said...

HMM...I could go on forever with my favorite soundtracks because I just have too many. Pride and Prejudice, Notting Hill, City of Angels, Practical Magic, Message in a Bottle, Bed of Roses. How fun to have that in common!! I love this blogging stuff, it really helps you get to know people better.

Amber Lee said...

Lindsey, I'm so sorry for your stresses! Hopefully things will work out with Connor--maybe he'll have a lucky diaper! That's kind of funny but sad about Kennedy, but it sounds like you did the right thing, especially having her apologize--good for you!