Friday, January 23, 2009

What Have I Created!!

Rob has been teasing me lately that Conner has me wrapped around his little finger. Well, he is my baby and I've fessed up to giving him pretty much whatever he wants. He is constantly asking for treats (especially now that we are potty training) and I give them too him when he deserves them and when I just don't want to hear him whine. This morning we were at Wal-mart to pick up a few items. He wanted me to get him a movie from Redbox. I told him no and oh holy hannah, did all H.E.double toothpicks break loose! We were in there for about 10 minutes and he cried and screamed the whole time. People were looking and staring, but ya know what...I didn't care. I tried to console him 4 or 5 times and he wouldn't have it, so I just kept walking, getting what I needed knowing that he would follow me (even if it was 20 or 30 feet behind me). So we get up to the checkout line and while waiting he opens a ice cream refridgerator and asks for an ice cream. Again, I said no. An elderly lady behind us stepped in trying to help him put it back and boy did that make him even madder. He was bright red in the face and was looking at her like don't even talk to me if you're not going to help me get what I want! So from there I had to pick him up and head out to the car, the whole time him kicking, screaming, almost falling out of my arms once or twice. Crying so much that he could hardly breath. I seriously thought he was possessed the way he was acting. When we got home, he had calmed down enough to let me hold him. My sweet Conner returned back to normal and he fell asleep in my arms.
I was not embarrased at all with his little episode, it was nothing short of a huge eye opener for me. I know...I am the one who has made him this way...by always giving him what he wants. And thank goodness it's not too late to turn things around. It may be difficult for a while, but things worthwhile are never easy. My only hope is that I stay sane through it all!!! LOL

11 comments:

Emily Hendrickson said...

Way to go! Before having kids I always wondered why parents just ignored their kids while they threw a fit and now I know. When I see this happening my sympathy goes out to the mom! I am impressed. I have done the same thing with Shaylie and have also been trying to work on it. Not fun, but it will be so much better in the end:)

Jess said...

Honey, I know where you are coming from. Sometimes I think, "how do people not spoil their children?" and it's so easy to when you are one on one toegether. Tyson is really starting to push the limits with me and I need to toughen up too.

Parkin Family said...

You are so awesome for sticking with it and finishing your shopping trip! My older one use to hide at the store and I had to stop taking him for a long while. I don't even want to think what my twins will do!

Bon said...

I am feelin' your pain. Kenny is definitely wrapped around our fingers being our baby and all. But in three months where there is a new baby I am staring to panic what might happen. So I have had to toughen up and be better at following through...any pointers...I am not very good and not giving in to my baby? I think I just make the situations worse! Yikes!

Taylor Fam said...

We all have to have one of those! It's a good thing he's so stinkin cute! Sometimes I think if our kids weren't so cute our husbands might kill em with all the whining and everything! Isn't being a parent grand! Miss you!

Emily said...

Been there and done that...it is not fun. I think Wal-mart brings out the worst in kids sometimes. Many a tantrums have Spence and Bree had in that darn store! Good luck! Good thing that Conner is one cute boy!!

Kim said...

Lindsey, I feel for you. I had to go through the same thing with Samantha when she was 2, and then I too saw what I had created! Thank goodness it's reversible. :)

LL said...

but look at those eyes...and he's your baby...and I'm guilty of it too. More than anything I do it so I don't have to hear them cry.
Way to be strong! I need to follow your lead...

Anonymous said...

That is so funny. I am glad I am not the only one that has done this to their kids.....I am right there with you!!!! Love mindy

Erin Bingham said...

That is funny only because it has happened to everyone else. Don't you love how everyone looks at you. One time we were in Lowes and James threw a fit because he lost his balloon. Some old lady came up and asked if she could give him some gum. Val thinks we need to have another kid because I "baby" Luke. There is just something about the baby!

jcosson said...

Holy cow does that sound like Abigail. I think it is a Cosson temper. She acts just the same way and Paul says I baby her. I hope she does better when her brother gets here