Monday, January 26, 2009

A Tale of a Little Girl, a MEAN KID and a mother who has yet, learned another lesson

One day there was a little girl who convinced her mom that she is getting old enough to walk to the bus stop by herself ( she is almost 7 for goodness sakes, in her words). Hesitant, the mom thought what could go wrong, it's a short walk through the townhomes...she will be okay. So off she went. Mom watched her through the window until she was out of sight and then went about the morning showering, getting ready, putting clothes in the wash. All the while this little girl made it to the bus stop safely. She decided to save herself a place in the bus line by taking her backpack off and setting it the line of backpacks. While waiting for the bus she plays with her friends and doesn't notice a MEAN KID take her backpack and throw it in the bushes. The next thing she knows the bus is there to take her to school and her backpack is GONE, which means she has no lunch, no snack and she panics. She looks for her backpack but can not find it. She heads home, crying and just traumatized (for lack of a better word).
Meanwhile, mom and little brother are going about their stuff when the doorbell rings. Expecting friends to come over and play, they were shocked to open the door to a crying, terrified sissy and sugar(nicknames). Mom immediately took her into her arms doing all she could to comfort her. After hearing the story they got into the car, went and found the backpack and safely took the sweet girl to school. This little girl is a strong girl, she will be okay...but she will NEVER go to the bus stop alone again.

Mean kids...even if the child did it out of a funny joke, I hope they saw the consequence of their actions.

17 comments:

The Meyers said...

oh, so sad. It is so hard when kids are mean to your kids. It's so hard to let go.

Jill said...

I agree, Paige wants to go alone, but no way....and thanks for confirming that fact that I know what is right!!! ;0)

Nelson Family said...

it's hard to let them grow up. I would have been so sad if that had happened to Caleb. Those darn kids. Don't their parents teach them to be nice?

Bon said...

Amen! Why do bullies have to ruin it for younger children? I am so paranoid, so I give you props for trying. I am so not brave!

Kim said...

Poor Kennedy! You are so good at loosening the strings with your kids and giving them freedom. I have such a hard time with that. I still have to watch Samantha walk into her school building to make sure she got to school.

Parkin Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Parkin Family said...

Doesn't it break your heart when that kind of stuff happens to your kids! The sad part is the older they get the meaner the kids get :o(

Kristi said...

Oh poor girl! I must be a bad mom because my kids have to walk all the way to school every day (unless they want to ride bikes or scooters, or if it's raining). Granted they have half the street walking with them. Maybe I trust too much!

Emily said...

Oh, Poor Kennedy! That is so sad, one mean kid has to ruin it for everybody!!

I won't let Meagan go to the bus stop alone either...

LL said...

ohhh, this made my heart hurt. I'm sure it's been more traumatizing for you than her. Poor little thing.
Glad she's strong!

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor girl.....Kennedy is such a sweetheart!! I can imagine how traumatized she is by that.. Thank goodness it is something she will get over. You are the best mom!! Love yam Mindy

Norris Fam said...

Kallie always told me she could go to the bus stop by herself too, but I told her we HAD to come with her because BEAU needed to get out for a walk. Which is partly true, but mostly I didn't dare send her to that bus stop where the crazy teenage drivers fly by and where mean kids hide backpacks. Ok...I didn't know about the mean kids at the time, but now I'm extra glad I never sent her alone!

The Blaisdell Family said...

What a little PUNK!! I hate mean kids. Your poor baby girl. I could feel her saddness reading this and it pulled at my heart so bad! I can not stand when kids get picked on. I think I would hunt down that kid and give him a piece of my mind!! Little brat!

Lori said...

Lindsey, that is just heartbreaking! It's sad to think that there are such means kids out there that don't even realize the damage they are doing. Poor Kennedy.

Erin Bingham said...

kids are cruel! glad she found her backpack.

Hans, Shell, Gabe, Hiett and Tait said...

Ahhh! A mother's worse nightmare! well, maybe not WORST but close to it. I am so scared of my kids getting picked on. But I would rather them be picked on than being the bully I guess. I made it alright and I was picked on from third grade till graduation! Poor Kenny- I hope that she isn't too terrified!

Amber Lee said...

Oh, that's so sad, especially that it was her first time! Poor thing! Isn't it hard watching our kids grow up? Sometimes the stories Bailey brings home just break my heart! Fortunately I haven't had to fight the walking to the bus stop fight, because the bus stops at our house--or I'm sure I would have had to endure the same argument!