Tuesday, May 01, 2012

If you know me well....

you know I like to read.  If I am not reading a book, I feel like something is wrong with me.
Just to share with you I finished reading this:

I'm not usually a fan of classic books, but this one was good.  It takes place in the late 1800's, early 1900's and I really enjoyed learning more about that time.  There are some similarities in some of the characters and the bible's Cain and Abel and at one point Mr. Trask has a vision of creating a "garden of Eden" on his farm in California for his wife who he truly loves, but she does not love him...so once she leaves him so does his vision.  The story also includes life happenings of the Hamilton family and between the two families, there is a lot of crazy and lovely drama.


and this:
I LOVED this book.  It is a memoir, so true stories about a midwife in England in the mid 1900's.  I love these kind of books.  It really opened my eyes and made me grateful for how much more doctors know and how much more comfortable giving birth is these days.  Jenny didn't realize the Nonnatus House was a convent instead of a hospital when she arrived, but immediately fell in love with the nuns and though she had no spiritual beliefs herself whatsoever she stayed.  The book is filled with stories of her helping different women bring their sweet babies into the world.
If you do read this because of my recommendation, you have to skip the chapter titled "Cafe Life".  It is no good and it won't matter to the story if you skip it.  It's kind of like a fabulous movie with a bad scene in it that could have totally been left out.

and I'm super excited to start this:

I'll start it tonight and let you know how I liked it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I loved East of Eden too! It makes me want to pick it up again, it's been since our TX days that I read it. Thanks for sharing your recent reads, I'm always on the lookout for a good book.
Love your Sunday afternoon pics. Darling as usual ;-)