Rob and I have had, at least for the last 6 years, a certain disagreement that comes up about every 10 months. It just happened to occur today when I told him what we were having for dinner...Jalepeno cheddar turkey burgers (I've been missing Chris Madrids lately).
We both enjoy exercising and eating healthy, except for the two to three months out of each year that we just let it go (Rob always “letting it go” a little farther than me). So when he sees the lbs. starting to creep back, he goes to the extreme with his eating habits, starts counting his calories, and (here’s the argument) he gets upset about the meals I make for dinner. I hardly ever make anything that is absolutely unhealthy. There are times when the caloric and fat content might be a little high and if so I just say “portion control”. Well, then he explodes saying that I am not being supportive, yada, yada, yada.
My thing is I feel we eat healthy enough that we don’t need to change our whole meal plan.
I am getting TIRED of this argument and welcome any suggestions to help us resolve this.
7 comments:
I wish I had good advice, but I don't. We go through on and off spurts where we eat super healthy and then a spurt where we don't! But your dinner sounded divine- you could have thrown it my direction to solve the fight and made me one happy women! HAHA! I swear as I read what you were making I was salivating at the mouth! hehee!!
But you both are Pin thin- so I say splurge and enjoy the good wonderful taste of food! My secret love affair!:)
Hey!!! It's Rachel. How are you doing?! It was so good to hear from you. It feels like it's been forever. I can't believe how big Kennedy is and congrats on Conner (yeah I know I'm a few years too late . . . sorry).
As for your problem, I'd tell him if he wants to change then fine he can go ahead and do it. He has to find the recipes and cook them the first time; if they work, then you can agree to integrate them into your meal rotation. I still wouldn't eliminate any of the meals you like to make, but rather you'd just insert more healthy meals into your rotation.
I agree with you . . . portion control. Plus I find people who go to extremes to eat healthy generally tend to binge (I had a roommate who would eliminate sugar from her diet, but would go binge on an entire container of Ben & Jerry's). Moderation is the key! Good luck with the ongoing battle. Hopefully some of this helps!
I had a bout of hypoglycemia during my last pregnancy and it was really awful. So, because of that experience and learning that it was because I was too low in my protein intake I really don't worry about fat grams, since they usually come along with protein. Especially if it's lean fat. We need fat to have healthy, functioning brains. If you were serving up 2-inch thick steaks every night, that would be a problem. But, ground turkey is lean meat.
Help him by prepping him. Come up with a monthly meal plan together with one "heavier" dinner each week. I try to plan my week by doing a chicken, then legume, then ground turkey, then fish, then chicken, then legumes again, etc. That way you get a good variety of what kind of protein you're getting, as well as fats.
My favorite reference about what the basic food components are, what sources there are, why they are good/bad for our bodies, etc., is Dr. Sears "Family Nutrition Book". It's like a text book. I learned so much and appreciate food for its source of health, instead of fearing its ability to add fat onto my thighs.
Cutting back on sugars does much more than cutting back on fat grams. Use fructose or honey instead of white sugar for sweetening, honey or maple syrup instead of cheap syrup on pancakes, drink 100% fruit juice instead of sodas -- and even better is to eat the actual fruit and drink water!
Anyway, long comment, but check out that book and both read it. I found it fascinating.
Plus, nothing can beat exercising regularly!
Wow, thanks Rachel and Michelle! Lots of good tips that I will definately use.
I would tell him to just be happy he's getting any food at all. It sounds like what your cooking was great! Steve would probably be so excited if I was cooking something as good as that sounds.
That would drive me nuts. It's hard enough trying to get kids to eat, but the husband too?? I would just kindly remind him I'm not running a restaurant and he's more than welcome to cook for himself:) Luckily Craig doesn't complain. Good Luck!! I admire that both of you are into fitness though! Good Job!
HA ha ha ha. Sorry.. That isn't really funny. But I would tell HAns to make his own meals and while he is at it it wouldn't hurt him to cook for the rest of the family either. BUt you're not mean like that. I agree with Bonnie, it you guys have any extra weight I hve no idea where you are hiding it. I just think it's cool you guys are healthy and exercise- I wish I would do that! IT was good seeing you on Wednesday! Thank you so much for the yummy candle, now there is no way my house smells like dog because it smells like pie! YOu're the best!
Post a Comment