Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Angels Landing

While the kids were away, Rob and I
headed off to our favorite place
ZNP very early one morning.
It had been 13 years since we hiked Angels Landing
and about a 1/3 of the way on the trail I remembered why!
It's totally uphill...the whole way and in some,
well most, parts very extreme.
My legs ached for a couple days afterward, more
from coming down than anything.
But boy was it fun and totally worth it!

Looking back on our progress
Looking up at the deadly switchbacks!
Whew!! at the top, looking down.
My wonderful hiking companion
The Chains...hold on for dear life!
Still have quite a ways to go to get
to the tip top...
We.made.it!
What a site! Absolutely breathtaking.
literally.
Looking down...not something you want to do
too much when you're way up there.
two little lovebirds
Taking a rest before heading back
down.

Besides taking in the beautiful
sites around me and
thinking about all those
who have fallen to their
death on this hike...I kept thinking
about the crazy nut that hiked up
there and actually thought "this would
be a great trail!" Thinking of all
the chains that had to be
put in place...the switchbacks...
It's all just amazing to me
AND
I would like to thank
that crazy nut
or nuts
whoever he or she or they may be.

There are somethings
you just have to do or you
really haven't "lived".
at least in my opinion.
And next on my list...
snorkeling in Hawaii next year.
It's gonna scare the daylights
out of me, but by golly,
I'm gonna do it!

6 comments:

Parkin Family said...

I loved the pictures of this hike - back in the day me and my man did a lot of hiking and it has been so long since we have done anything like that! It makes me want to give a try again......And the snorkeling....I am a little no a lot scared of what's under the surface so I am totally amazed at anyone who can handle that!

The Smith Family said...

Wow, what an adventure!

Lori said...

You guys are AWESOME! Honestly, this post made me a little sick to my stomach ... we did this in January 09, but the kids and i stopped short at that landing area just after the wiggles ... only jared and his brother went to the top (glad i got to use the kids and the fact that i was pregnant as an excuse for why i wasn't willing to go any further). Freaky, freaky freaky ... is all I can say. You guys are brave, good for you! I want to know who the Nut is that thought this was a good trail too! =)

LL said...

BEAUTIFUL! But man, you wouldn't catch me up there. YIKES!

Kim said...

Wow! I was getting anxious just looking at the pictures. I love hiking, but I am afraid of heights, not really a good combo.
Looks like you guys had fun though!

When are you going to Hawaii? We might be there next Spring. :)

Katie and Bryson said...

Oh Lindsey, that is quite the hike! I am afraid of heights so I was a little nutty the whole one time I did Angels Landing. I just saw this and got excited because we're heading to Zion in the morning to hike the Subway!!! Gotta love our local slice of awesomeness :)