Friday, November 28, 2008

our FIRST and LAST time...

Today Rob and I took on the challenge of
Black Friday!
And it is something we will NEVER forget
and NEVER do again!!
Wal-mart's sale started at 5 a.m. and we pulled
into a PACKED (remember, our first time...we
could not believe our eyes) parking lot!! I mean
as full as if it were three in the afternoon...
CR.AAAA.ZY,
I tell ya. We get in the store and the main aisles
were roped off, people staring with complete
determination on their faces (almost to the point of
being scary), I started getting nervous!!
From that point we figured even if we got just
two of the 8 or 10 things we went for, we would
be good. We did great! We ended up getting all
but one thing and we were out of the store at
5:31 a.m., but we vowed to never, EVER
do it again.
First of all, getting up at 4:30 in the
morning is insane...
NOTHING
(for sale at the big W) is worth getting up
that early for! Second, I just could not take
being around so many people...everyone,
as much as you can be in that situation, was polite.
I just couldn't stand the crowd.
Maybe I am a boring person...but I don't think
so. I like excitement in my life, but this
kind of excitement that causes me to be anxious
and nervous is one I can definately
do without!!!
I will stick with finding
good deals throughout the year, rather than
trying to get them all on the same day.
There is a first time for everything...and that
first time can be the last time for somethings.

10 comments:

Kim said...

haha! I'm glad you experienced it at least once. I've done it a few times, but this year I decided to sleep in!

LL said...

i did it once myself...it's eye opening. and PAINFUL.
It's certainly not my thing. Glad you were successful.
Can't believe November is almost over.

Parkin Family said...

AMEN SISTER!

Jess said...

I agree that it is definitely NOT worth it. So many people, so much congestion, so much cart rage..... Plus, people get a little crazy and do crazy things.

The Meyers said...

I worked a couple of Black Fridays so I know how crazy people can get. It's amazing what you will do for a deal! :) Kati

Lori said...

You guys are SO brave!!! Crowds like that seriously freak me it ... i feel way too claustrophobic. And 4:30am!!! Wow!!! I sincerely hope you came straight home after that adventure and crawled right back into bed, where you belong at that hour. =)

Erin Bingham said...

I have to agree with you. The only Black Friday store I ever go to is Target. This year I got their about 8:30 am and still got everything I wanted. They always stock things well. I will leave all the other stores for those who like to get up early and fight the crowds.

Mike and Kelly said...

We don't shop on Black Friday until 9:30-10:00. I like my sleep. Who wants to deal with crazed tired people at 5 am. Not me! You are very brave.

The Blaisdell Family said...

With a nursing newborn in the house, there was NO way I was getting up that early this year!! i'm not a big crowd person either. It makes me crabby, I'll be honest:)

Plus all I wanted was from Toys R Us and they started their "black friday" specials online Thanksgiving day so I got everything I wanted. Shipping was worth my sanity PLUS we still saved a ton of money getting their sales, like a scooter for $19 instead of $40!!

Margaret said...

I've always been tempted to be one of the 5 a.m.ers but circumstances have not allowed. After hearing your experience I'm not so tempted anymore.

This year was our first year trying for sales online and it was great. I did hit one store in person (with four more persons in tow) about 10 a.m. and it had just a few more people than usual. Then we enjoyed the rest of the morning at Sea World! It was great.