We had a wonderful day. We started off with cooking breakfast outside, yummy sausage and french toast. After we got ready we headed to the Worthen Park downtown to join in all the festivities. The kids had a great time going down the giant blow up slide, riding the train and walking around the booths while eating suckers and cotton candy. We came home and had brats and hamburgers for lunch, relaxed, napped, read, watched tv for a while and then we headed up to Cedar to have a BBQ with our wonderful Cedar friends. It was so great to see them all and for the kids to see and play with their friends. We had a great time. We made it back to Saint George in time for the firework show where we met up with the Ford Family to enjoy their company. The firework show was GREAT, it was the best yet that I’ve been to. The fireworks were directly over our heads. We had to lay down so our necks weren’t cranked up the whole time. The kids absolutely LOVED it! Conner was mesmerized by it all. During the fireworks they had music playing and I had a "moment", listening to one of my favorite songs by Lee Greenwood(I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free...), pondering about how we are so blessed to live in the USA. We may not agree with the way things are handled at times by the government or whatever, but we are free and for that alone we should be eternally grateful. The fireworks were amazing, I thought this is probably how Thomas Jefferson and the others felt inside when the Declaration of Independence was complete. What great men, to say the least.
Now for a little change of subject, while driving to Cedar this afternoon I noticed a car swerving a little within his lane, really staying right on the yellow line like he was following it as close he could, like it would keep him on the road. I told Rob, this guy is drunk. Rob, always giving the benefit of the doubt, said he is probably just a drowsy driver. We followed him at a distance and when he really started swerving into the other lane, almost running into other cars, Rob told me to catch up to him. We did and he called dispatch to report an “impaired” driver. We backed off quite a ways, but kept watching him, weaving in and out of traffic, almost running into the back of a semi! I told Rob if he keeps going he is not going to make it much farther. We were talking and all of the sudden about 500 feet ahead of us I see huge amounts of dust on both sides of the road. I told Rob, he just went off the road!! We pulled over, Rob went over to make sure he was okay and called dispatch, once again, to report the accident. This guy swerved off one side of the road, came back on the highway, swerved to the other side and went off in the embankment and crashed. He got out of his car without a scratch and how lucky that no other cars were involved! We waited for UHP to get there so we could fill out a report and sure enough he was tested and handcuffed for a DUI. As all of this was happening I felt so bad for the guy, I mean Hello you shouldn’t be driving if you’ve been drinking, I know, but I felt bad that he either was not taught any better or maybe he was and now his bad decision has gotten him in trouble. (He was probably in his early 20s). It was all a lot to take in, a little overwhelming. It lead me to think about the decisions that we do make, all of us, when we are taught to do and be better and then we make unwise choices that lead us away from being the best person we can be. In a way I felt bad that he got caught, but in the end it was his decision that lead to the unlucky ending. I mean, what are the chances of the St. George prosecutor being a witness to your happenings and kept you from getting into the car of a good samaritan that pulled over, when you could have gotten in the car and had a clean get-a-way. It just turned out to be a very bad day for him, but he should be thankful that he is alive and even more thankful that he didn’t injure anyone else.
Let’s just say our 4th of July was definatley not uneventful!
4 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a a lot of fun all day! We were all so glad to see you guys and hope you had fun! I always almost cry when you leave!
You are so nice Lindsey! The things you wrote are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing! And for making my cry! I feel bad for that guy too! It is a good thing he walked away, it could have been worse!
Holy Cow what a day that must of been. I would def. have to say that they guy is a very unlucky lucky guy. I could only imagine how much of a jackass he will feel like later when he probably denies some of the statements you guys told the police only to find there's NO WAY out of it cause the witness was Robert..LOL!! I would feel like a fool and that it was ment for me to get caught. I am glad he did not hurt anyone...
We did not go and see any fireworks =( but we will sometime I am sure. Love you all!
Drunk drivers (& sleepy drivers) are so scary! We followed one on our last trip to Utah, luckily he pulled over, but I was really anxious following him. Sounds like you had a good weekend though. I'm glad to hear you got to catch up with your Cedar friends.
It was so great to see you on the fourth. It was a fabulous day wasn't it? So relaxing and patriotic. I'm glad you made it home in time to see the fireworks!
Post a Comment